Hey, Don't Write Yourself Off Yet....

Back in 2011, I turned 52. So, for that year, I intended to really make an effort to do one new thing each week to commemorate that year of turning and being 52.

2011 was a very eventful and memorable year but, I have to admit, I didn't quite have a great adventure each week. However, the effort increased my consciousness of how my life is playing out. With that, I've decided to continue the blog and to keep seeking out new and fun experiences in my life as long as I possibly can.

So, keep checking back now and then I try to find adventures in saying yes to new.


Monday, May 30, 2011

Week 21, Disney's World of Color

Our family has been Disneyland annual passholders every year since about 1994. We generally buy the least expensive passes which, unfortunatley, include a lot of blackout days -- especially during the summer. I don't mind; The days that are blacked-out on our passes are the more popular days when the parks are more crowded anyway.


So, I know Disneyland and the California Adventure parks REALLY well. Some of my favorite things in the two parks are: Soarin' Over California, Toy Story Mania and Buzz Lightyear (we're a very competitive family),


the Mission Tortilla mini-factory & samples (we're a very hungry family too). and the teacups.
If I'm with the grandkids, I like whatever they like and just enjoy being with them. If I'm with the little kids, I love to go on It's a Small World, the Carousel, the Storybook boat ride and anything else in Fantasy Land.
I used to love the Electric Light Parade -- especially that synthesized soundtrack. It makes me happy still when I hear that never-ending song -- wherever I am.

Last week, I decided I wanted to see the Wonderful World of Color Show before my summer blackout dates kick in. It started showing at California Adventure last Summer and we still hadn't had a chance to see it.


I had heard that you could buy a dinner which included reserved spots for the World of Color show. In my mind, I thought that buying the special dinner package would mean enjyoing our dinner while we sat and watched the show.
But we found out that you just pick up a reserved meal (we had the cold fried chicken dinners; they were pretty decent except for the cole slaw). The dinner is eaten by the winery long before the show begins; you're just give a special pass for the show. -- and that meant that we got to stand around with everyone else -- but in a specially designated standing area -- not necessarily at the front of the crowd or anything but not bad. John and I just sat on the pavement and enjoyed watching the people around us and the Mickey Ferris Wheel across the water with its colorful changing light patterns. I loved the way the show began with the theme song from the old Wonderful World of Disney television show from the 60's...."the world is a carousel of color". Anyone around my age (you know, 52) has some great memories of Sunday evenings watching "Disneyland" with the family. The show featured some other favorites too, A Whole New World and for this watershow, the song "Just Around the Riverbend" worked so well too. Anyway, we both enjoyed the show -- it was just great to be outside on a nice early Summer evening at the Happiest Place on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment