Hey, Don't Write Yourself Off Yet....

Back in 2011, I turned 52. So, for that year, I intended to really make an effort to do one new thing each week to commemorate that year of turning and being 52.

2011 was a very eventful and memorable year but, I have to admit, I didn't quite have a great adventure each week. However, the effort increased my consciousness of how my life is playing out. With that, I've decided to continue the blog and to keep seeking out new and fun experiences in my life as long as I possibly can.

So, keep checking back now and then I try to find adventures in saying yes to new.


Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week 15, Self-Defense Training

A few months ago, our ward Relief Society, gathered items to prepare and donate survivor kits for victims of sexual assault to the Riverside Area Rape Crisis Center. Debora Monroe Heaps, one of our members, is one of the managers of the center. http://www.rarcc.org




Without saying too much, I would just say that after we made that donations, someone close to many us, became a victim of such an attack, which brought this issue far too close to our hearts.




So, to help prevent anything like this from ever, ever happening again, we organized a Relief Society meeting during which Debbie Heaps gave some great tips for protecting ourselves. We learned and practiced moves and stratigies for escape.






Look at Donna Hall's Face -- I wouldn't mess with her!





Each of the sisters took a good upward kick -- Above, Judy Strickland, Barbara Schultz, Carol Crouch and Donna Hall.






Look at those strong stances....you don't want to mess with these Relief Society Sisters.







Barbara Schultz taking a whack at the attacking dummy....




With Joanell Ellis looking on, Natalie Sandgren shows the dummy what's up!




Here's the real expert, Debora Heaps showing the rest of us how to stop this guy and leave no mistake about who is NOT his victim.






The good sisters of the Jurupa 1st Ward intently listening to instruction.


I hope that we can take the lessons we all learned and share them with our friends, sisters, daughters. Ask me for some tips next time you see me. And, if you're feeling real strong and brave, let me demonstrate some of my new defensive moves on ya!



















1 comment:

  1. Debra's done every ward I have been in now...he he he...my yw had a blast with her...too much fun, but they still remember!

    ReplyDelete