Hey, Don't Write Yourself Off Yet....

Back in 2011, I turned 52. So, for that year, I intended to really make an effort to do one new thing each week to commemorate that year of turning and being 52.

2011 was a very eventful and memorable year but, I have to admit, I didn't quite have a great adventure each week. However, the effort increased my consciousness of how my life is playing out. With that, I've decided to continue the blog and to keep seeking out new and fun experiences in my life as long as I possibly can.

So, keep checking back now and then I try to find adventures in saying yes to new.


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What do Weird Al Yankovich and I Have in Common? We Both "Lost on Jeopardy"!

One of the crazier challenging things I chose to do this year was to go on national (possibly international) TV and very probably make a fool of myself! Each year, over 100,000 people take the Jeopardy on-line test and of those, only 400 people are selected to be contestants on the show. I was, depending how you look at it, one of those fortunate or one of those deluded people who think they’ve got a chance. But, let me tell you, being a successful, winning contestant is not as easy as it looks at home. First of all, the people you’re playing against are no dummies and those darn buzzers are impossible to master – at least for me. I went in with a fear that I’d be one of those poor schleps that were in the red when the game got to Final Jeopardy and had to leave the stage. When the real game began I was totally challenged by not being able to ring in many times (you’ve seen those players going crazy with their thumbs – I think that was me), ringing in too quickly or hesitating just a millisecond too long and missing out on what should have been an easy answer.


Putting myself out there to be on this show was a bit of a risk, but, the way I look at this experience and, pretty much life in general is, “why the heck not?”. I’m proud that I tested well enough to qualify and performed strongly enough in the auditions to be selected. The taping day at the studio was a blast. My taping date was back in November of 2011. Let me tell you, you don't get any questions or study materials before you test, audition or tape. You bring in just what you happen to know and just hope that the categories are consistent with your personal data base.




Of course, I got to meet Alex Trebek and meet Jimmy from the Clue Crew. Those of us who taped in the afternoon got to eat lunch at the Sony Canteen and see a lot of behind the scenes studio happenings in the production of Jeopardy. I got to have my make-up done by an artist and, hey, even the runners up win some money.


Since moving to California in the mid 80’s, I’ve had the opportunity to be on several game shows including Scrabble, The Home Shopping Game, Joker’s Wild, Win Ben Stein’s Money, Shop ‘Til You Drop, Crosswords and now, Jeopardy. I actually did win Ben Stein’s money in 1997; and Heidi and I won a ton of prizes and a fun weeklong ski trip to Vermont in 2004. You win some and you lose some. I’ve found I do much better when I’m not focused on winning but just focus on enjoying the experience itself.


I apologize for not posting this earlier. I was feeling very insecure about not winning and didn't want to invite the world to watch me lose, but I realize now that was a mistake. Although, it was just slightly painful for me to watch -- I know that other people are not so critical (so I'll keep a copy and try to share it in the future).


By the way, I did stay in through final Jeopardy but still came in third. Now what to do with my big $1,000 prize? (I'll report on that in a future blog.)






3 comments:

  1. No need to feel insecure at all. From the 100,000 that are brave enough to even take the online test, to the 400 that make the cut...is a winner in my book. Being on Jeopardy is like on those stories you will tell every time it's on...and now I can say, "Dude, my friend from high school's Mom was on Jeopardy!" Congrats Mrs. Todd. Was awesome to watch. I remember when you and Heidi won all those prizes Shop Til You Drop!

    Also, I always thought that they gave each contestant certain sections of knowledge to concentrate on and drew the categories from them. Guess not! (Even MORE of an achievement to making it on the show).

    Congrats again! What game show is next?? How about Wipe Out!? Fear Factor?! America's Next Top Model?

    -Shaheryar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharheyar, your last line is why I've always liked you so much...you crack me up. If they had a America's Next Top Model, Fear Factor and Wipe Out made just for over 50 Grandmothers, I still wouldn't have a chance on any of them. Take care my friend.

      Delete
  2. Yet another reason why you're a Team Todd family hero. I love you mamma!

    ReplyDelete