Hey, Don't Write Yourself Off Yet....

Back in 2011, I turned 52. So, for that year, I intended to really make an effort to do one new thing each week to commemorate that year of turning and being 52.

2011 was a very eventful and memorable year but, I have to admit, I didn't quite have a great adventure each week. However, the effort increased my consciousness of how my life is playing out. With that, I've decided to continue the blog and to keep seeking out new and fun experiences in my life as long as I possibly can.

So, keep checking back now and then I try to find adventures in saying yes to new.


Thursday, November 24, 2011

A New Old Bench for Our House

William’s summer long hospital stay was followed up by just a few weeks of normal life. After our trip to Washington D.C. and Virginia, John became very sick in late September. After a week of high fevers and abdominal pain at home, he spent over a week in the hospital, had numerous tests and eventually, invasive gall bladder surgery. After that, he had to spend another month at home recuperating and still dealing with some post–surgical issues. Now he and Baby William have very nearly matching (and long) abdominal scars. I’ve always said those two have an uncanny connection, and so it continues.

So, for the month or so that John was pretty seriously ill, it just didn’t feel right to leave him at home or in the hospital just so I could go out and do some of the activities I had planned for this Fall. I did, however, have one great find – an antique bench for our living/dining room. I came across it one afternoon at an antique store near the hospital as I was taking a walk just to get out to get some fresh air and exercise. I had been looking for a unique (and hopefully antique) bench for the wall along the stairs in our dining room for a few years now. I wanted to add some practical seating to complement the large dining room table – to replace the accent table along the wall.


So, I still need to paint the wall and get some more dramatic artwork, but, since that might take a while, here’s a photo of the bench itself for now.



In looking at the shopmark on the bench and after talking with the owner of the antique store (and doing a little research on my own), I found that the bench was made by the Ford and Johnson Furniture Company out of Chicago. They were in business between 1867 and 1913 and were among the exhibitors at the International Universal Exposition in Paris in 1900 (along with Louis Comfort Tiffany).


One of the features I like best about this bench is the shield and star motif across the back of the bench...very American and a nice Arts and Crafts touch.


This particular bench was in Chicago’s Union (train) Station for most of the 20th century. When they remodeled the Chicago train station a few years ago, the Los Angeles Shriners purchased much of the furniture. The Shriners divided up the lots and somehow, this particular bench made it to our local antique store, and now, to our home.


Ford, J. S., Johnson and Company

Maker: Ford, J. S., Johnson and CompanyYear: 1867-1913

Reference: The Official Price Guide to American Arts & Crafts 3rd Ed., David Rago and Bruce Johnson

Notes: Ford, J. S., Johnson and Co. Chicago retailer. 1867-1913. John S. Ford and Henry W. Johnson, founders. Factory in Michigan City, IN. Called second largest chair manufacturer in US; various styles; high quality Arts &Crafts. Red shopmark.










No comments:

Post a Comment